Friday, July 17, 2015

Case Study No. 2095: "Not a single old lady told a single soul to shushhh"

Scroobius Pip - Library (Animated Video)
2:15
Watch Scroobius Pip's animated poem 'Library' - commissioned by Chris Hawkins for BBC 6 Music's celebration of libraries and performed live on his show in November 2014.
Tags: BBC Music Scroobius Pip (Composer) libraries BBC Radio 6 Music (Radio Station) Poetry (Literary Genre)
Added: 7 months ago
From: sixgroupsix
Views: 9,959

There's never really
been much to do
in my town

The grey skies
and grey buildings
unifying a frown

The public ones
aren't that different
inside, and out

It's hardly
inspiring
when walking about

Except for that one building

The one that's
bursting
with stories

And I don't
mean it's
tall

I mean it's
full of
history

And full
of poems

That rhyme
better than
this one

And full of
tales
for your mind

To absorb
like a
thick
sponge

I mean they had
The Hobbit

75 years

Before my
local cinema

And the
special effects
were way better

And the tone
far more
sinister

Inside my own mind
every tale is in
3D

But
to be fair
in my mind
not that many of them
are in
PG

But

It's not just all
about the books

I mean

I can't put this any
simpler

But

I just don't think
I'm the
kind of guy
that will ever have
ink in his
printer

And that's not a
euphemism
it's just who keeps
that topped up

It's not one of those
things that just appear

like

underwear
and new cups

It's also my
haven
when my internet
is on the
blink

Which is far more
regular than the
adverts
would have you think

On one visit

I could hear
kids singing
nursery rhymes

And tales of a
boot
wearing
puss

And not a single
old lady
told a single soul to
shushhh

So

Surely to enter
such a building
must hold an
outrageous
fee

Right?

I mean

You need to
remortgage
for a
cinema
spending spree

So in the
modern world
this next fact
might be hard
to believe

But

You can enter

And

Even take
things away
with you

For free

So

For education
for the escape

And
for the fact
it allows for me
to refuse to
develop into a
grown up
with a
printer
that works

I love my local
library
and all of its
quirks

I mean to be fair
it hasn't really
made me that good at
writing poems

So
you know ...

Library
by Scroobius Pip

Performed for Chris Hawkins on 6 Music

BBC Radio
6 Music
(c) BBC MMXIV

---

From bbc.co.uk:

As BBC Radio 6 Music celebrates Libraries, award winning spoken-word poet and hip hop artist Scroobius Pip presents a poem about libraries which he has written especially for Chris Hawkins' Early Show.

Plus, another Mr Men character features in the 6 Music Mr Men Musical Mission.

It's the Early Show search for the ultimate list of songs mentioning every character in the original Mr Men series.

Songs might include The Smith's 'Heaven Knows I'm MISERABLE Now', Ian Dury's 'Reasons To Be CHEERFUL' or Xpress 2/David Byrne's 'LAZY'.

No comments:

Post a Comment