Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Case Study No. 1666: "The Librarian's Book of Quotes"

The Librarian's Book Of Quotes
0:34
http://xx surl. com/8zmjwz

The Librarian's Book Of Quotes
Celebrate librarianship and the love of libraries with this charming collection of quotes! Publisher: ALA Editions Illustration: N Language: ENG Title: The Librarian's Book of Quotes Pages: 00120 (Encrypted PDF) On Sale: 2009-06-01 SKU-13/ISBN: 9780838909881 Category: Language Arts & Disciplines : Library & Information Science
Celebrate librarianship and the love of libraries with this charming collection of quotes! Publisher: ALA Editions
Illustration: N
Language: ENG
Title: The Librarian's Book of Quotes
Pages: 00120 (En
Tags: 133110413 1343062809
Added: 6 months ago
From: meghanclousen
Views: 2

From ala.org:

"The Librarian's Book of Quotes"
Tatyana Eckstrand
Publisher: ALA Editions
Year Published: 2009

Celebrate librarianship and the love of libraries with this charming collection of quotes! Tatyana Eckstrand has compiled nearly three hundred of the most insightful, thought-provoking, and inspiring aphorisms about the library profession.

Writers from Shakespeare to Ray Bradbury and librarians from John Cotton Dana to Nancy Pearl are gathered together to sing the praises of librarians' skills, values, and the amazing institutions they support. Citations are provided to the original source material, and a handy biographical dictionary provides background on individuals who may not be household names. With its broad selection of sayings that pay honor to their work and commitment, The Librarian's Book of Quotes is a perfect gift for information professionals and lovers of libraries.

---

From google.com:

I could taste the sweetness of libraries from day one. Their wealth of interesting and exciting books instantly appealed to my love of learning and and exploring new worlds. When I entered the fourth grade, the school librarian asked if I might be interested in serving as a student helper in our elementary school library. Like a kid in a candy store, I eagerly agreed and was soon spending my extra time shelving books, filing checkout cards, and manning the circulation desk. This new role as a steward taking care of this magical place thrilled me to no end. And thus my career as a librarian was born.

The fulfilling journey that followed - in my many roles as a student library assistant and professional librarian - not only helped to satisfy my constant intellectual thirst for researching and organizing information, but also showed me what an important function libraries play in the education of society. By providing free access to information for all, libraries help to preserve democratic values, and that realization made me very proud to be a librarian.

However, more recently I grew disenchanted with the profession to which I had already given many years of my life. The stress of budget cuts, downsizing, poor salaries, and ever-changing technology forced me to question why I had become a librarian. In hopes of finding comfort as well as an answer to this conundrum, I sought out words of inspiration that might describe libraries and librarians in their true, untarnished light. To my delight, what I found was a treasure trove of quotations and anecdotes that indeed rekindled my love for the profession.

This "Librarian's Book of Quotes" is a selection of approximately two hundred quotes that for me most celebrate librarianship. As you will soon discover, the voices offering us these gems of wit and wisdom are people both famous and not-so-famous, library users and librarians some contemporary and others long since passed. With sincerity and humor, libraries and librarians are commended from a multitude of perspectives: as champions of democracy, warriors against censorship, preservers of knowledge, navigators of the information landscape, and providers of a welcoming community center and safe haven for the human spirit.

May these words help to inspire all of us who have given ourselves to this noble profession. Or, if nothing else, at least give us a delicious "taste" of it, as in the words of the librarian and bibliographer R. Lee Hadden:

"Liberrian: One who picks liberries from wild liberry bushes and makes a liberry pie."

- Tatyana Eckstrand

No comments:

Post a Comment