Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Case Study No. 1623: Saori Hasegawa (student library worker) and Miss Ounishi

Let's Play Persona 3 Portable Part 20 - Library club
15:08
We meet up with one of the most submissive women in the history of the world then go to fight some demons, is there anything FeMC can't do?
Tags: let's play persona 3 portable p3p
Added: 1 year ago
From: RayneKisaragi
Views: 113

From wikipedia.org:

"Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable", an enhanced remake of Persona 3 for the PlayStation Portable, was released in Japan on November 1, 2009, and released in North America on July 6, 2010. The announcement in Famitsu revealed that the player would have the option to play as a female character. This selection alters some aspects of the story: the first Persona gained by the Protagonist, Orpheus, has a different appearance; Igor's assistant in the Velvet Room, Elizabeth, can be replaced with a male equivalent named Theodore. The gender choice also alters some aspects of the Social Link stories. In addition to the new playable character, there are two new difficulty levels to select from alongside the original game's three. Persona 3 Portable only includes the story of the original Persona 3; however, general changes have been made to the plot, regardless of character choice.

The story still takes place in a 2009 CE Japanese city called Iwatodai, built and funded by the Kirijo Corporation. Experiments carried out ten years ago created the Dark Hour, a period of time that exists between one day and the next. During this time, most people are transmogrified into coffins and are not aware of the Dark Hour; however, there is a select group of people who aren't. The Dark Hour bends reality; Gekkoukan High School, where most of the characters attend school during the day, becomes a huge labyrinthine tower called Tartarus, and beasts known as Shadows roam the area, preying on the minds of those still conscious. The Shadows leave their victims in near-catatonic states outside of the Dark Hour. To investigate and learn about the Dark Hour, Shadows, and Tartarus, the "Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad", or SEES, was created. SEES is a group of high-schoolers capable of summoning beings known as Personas to combat Shadows (Personas are described as being "a second soul that dwells deep within a person's heart. It is an entirely different personality that emerges when a person is confronted with something from outside his world"). Persona-users usually summon their Persona by firing a gun-like object called an Evoker at their head.

---

From wikia.com:

Saori Hasegawa is a non-player character from Persona 3 Portable. She is a student of Gekkoukan High School who can be found if the player pursues the female protagonist's story.

A mature student of Gekkoukan High School, Saori has curly, brownish gray hair, gray eyes and fair skin. Like most of the school's students, Saori wears its uniform while at school. If the player decides to accept her offer to hang out with her on days off, Saori wears a black turtleneck shirt along with a greenish gray dress, black tights and dark gray slippers. She also wears a silver necklace with a fancy pendant.

As she is older than every other student, she always gets addresses in a formal way which makes her feel uncomfortable. Saori is a kind person, but has severe problems at interacting with others, which leads to her becoming a victim of bullying and false rumors by other students.

Saori Hasegawa is a second year student who has been living overseas, and is two years older than the protagonist. She has difficulty interacting with others because of this, and the people around her couldn't seem to understand her; this makes her feel really troubled. She can be found as a health or library committee member. Saori is kind, but very passive and distant, which leads to becoming a victim of bullying and false rumors by other students. One night, she allows a reporter to take a picture of her in public, as the reporter claimed to be pleased to see teens wearing their uniforms outside of school. However, the picture of her was censored out and instead it claimed that she was partying excessively and other nonsense that she did not do. She was paid 4000 yen by the reporter. Ekoda suspends Saori for her behavior, as others claimed that she was always seducing boys and cursing. He warns the Female Protagonist not to be like her. A boy once asked her out for karaoke, and she only said yes because she wanted friends. The boy was already dating somebody, so the girlfriend slaps Saori, which almost causes the Female Protagonist to assault her in Saori's defense, only to be stopped by the latter. The girlfriend, intimidated by the Female Protagonist, then warns her to stay away from her lover. She is then suspended for one week. When she returns, she gathers the courage to announce over the PA that she was innocent and just wanted to be friends with others. She recorded her speech onto her cell phone and listens to it for courage. Ekoda comes to scold her, but Ms. Toriumi and Ms. Ounishi or Mr. Edogawa come to her defense and she is let off the hook. However, her parents decide to send her to a private school, thinking that she is a disgrace. On her last day of school, Saori records her message onto the female protagonist's cell phone and tells her that she will always be on her mind and to listen to her speech for strength. She then leaves.

Saori's Social Link commences on May 8, when Ms. Toriumi wants you to join either the library commitee or the health commitee. She replaces Ms. Toriumi as the Hermit Arcana Social Link during the female Protagonist's storyline.

---

From giantbomb.com:

A science teacher at Gekkoukan High School in Persona 3.

Ms. Ounishi is a science teacher at Gekkoukan High School in Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 3 Portable. A minor character in the PS2 incarnations, her role is limited to interactions during class. In Persona 3 Portable, she is given slightly more active role as the faculty adviser of the Library Committee, though she is still largely a background character.

---

From gamefaqs.com:

*********
Hermit 1
*********

Ms. Toriumi:
Ah, there you are. I'd like a word with you.
You haven't joined any committees yet, have you?
I know this is sudden, but there's some positions that just became
vacant that I'd like you to take on.
I mean, students are obligated to join a school committee.
I'll let you choose which one you'd like to join.
Which of these would you rather join? The school health commitee or
the library committe?

PLAYER:
Library committee.

Ms Toriumi:
All right, thank you.
Well, go on over to the library after school today.

> ...You joined the library committee.

> You must go to the library after school is out today...

[After School]

> Gekkoukan High School, Library...

Ms. Ounishi:
Is everyone here?
Allow me to introduce PLAYER from class 2-F to you. She'll be joining
the library committee.
If there's anything you don't understand... Oh, let's see...
Hasegawa!

Mature Student:
Yes, Ma'am?

Ms. Ounishi:
You're on duty today, right? Teach her how to get around here.
Well then, I'll leave therest to you.

Mature Student:
Understood.
Well, then... could you come over here so I can explain?

Female Senior:
U-Um, Saori-san? Excuse me, but we, um...

Mature Student:
Oh... I'm sorry, I didn't notice.
Please feel free to go home. I'll take care of the rest for today.

Female Senior:
We're really sorry. See you later...

> The other members leave...

Mature Student:
Oh, please don't think that the others aren't welcoming you to the
club.
They're all just very busy...
Um... Let's see, where should I start explaining things to you...?
...Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't even introduced myself yet.
I'm Saori Hasegawa.

PLAYER:
I'm very pleased to meet you.

Saori:
Heh... There's no need to be so formal. I'm a junior, just like you.
You don't have to be so polite to me.

PLAYER:
All right.

Saori:
...Thank you. I'm glad to hear that.
I'm actually two years older than you. I studied abroad, and took
some time off from school.
I'm the oldest student in the school right now.
...That's why the upperclassmen all speak politely to me.
I really wish they'd stop... but I've pretty much given up about it.
...Still, considering that we've just met, it'd be nice if you
didn't feel you had to be like that around me.
...Could you just try?

PLAYER:
Of course I can!

Saori:
Heh... I'm glad to hear that.

> You joined the school library committee and met Saori Hasegawa,
a fellow junior.

> You get a mature and quiet impression of Saori, probably because
she's older than you.

> You have established the Librarian Social Link
of the Hermit Arcana! You may earn an XP bonus when fusing
Personas of the Hermit Arcana!

Saori:
Oh, I'm sorry. I'm supposed to explain our duties here.
We meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but we do get a couple of days
off before exams.
First, let's go over how to check books out. Each book has a barcode
on the back cover, so...

> You were taught the skills you need in order to perform your
duties as a member of the library committee.

> You spent time with Saori in the library until it was time to
leave...

*********
Hermit 2
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> Very few students have come to make use of the library today.

> ...You're bored.

Saori:
We haven't had many visitors today.
Oh, that's right. Ms. Ounishi said that some new books have come in.
Can you help me put barcodes on them and enter them in the system?

PLAYER:
Of course!

Saori:
I'll go get them. If anyone comes to the counter while I'm gone,
help them.

> Saori seems to be enjoying herself...

Saori:
Eek... Oh, I'm sorry.

> Saori bumps into a female student who just came through the
door...

Student with buns:
Oh, I-I'm sorry. Uh, Saori-san... Um...

> The girl is obviously flustered, for some reason...

Saori:
Me? What is it?

Student with buns:
Well... um... C-Could I borrow your physics notes?
The teacher erases the blackboard too fast for me to copy them
down...

Saori:
Oh, of course.
I've been taking a lot of notes for physics, too...
I'm not too good in that class myself, so I need to pay attention.

Student with buns:
Oh, um... That's all right.

Saori:
...I see. Give me one second.

> Saori pulls a notebook from her bag and hands it to the girl.

Student with buns:
Oh, great. Thanks...

> The student leaves.

> Saori sees her off...

Saori:
...She's my classmate.

PLAYER:
Do you two not get along?

Saori:
Hmm, I really don't know.
But, it feels good to have people rely on me.
So...
......

> Saori smiles, slightly sadly...

Saori:
I've never gotten used to this school.
...You're a transfer student, but you seem to have grown accustomed
to this place really quickly.
I see you sometimes in the hall, and you always look like you're
having fun.

PLAYER:
You should've come talk to me.

Saori:
Hm... I thought other people would think the wrong thing if we
started getting along well...

> Saori smiles...

> You feel like you understand a little bit about the situation
Saori is in...

Saori:
Um...? What was I doing?
Oh, I was going to get the new books. Watch the counter while I'm
out.

> You did your duties in the school library committee and left
school with Saori...

*********
Hermit 3
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> Lots of students are making use of the library today, so you and
Saori had a lot of work to do...

Saori:
All right, may i please see your student ID?

> Saori is happily doing her job and helping the students...

Saori:
...Huh? You lost it?
Um... If you don't have your ID, we can't check any books out for
you.
Losing your ID's pretty serious... You should go to the faculty room
before you do anything else.

> Saori seems to be involved with a complex situation...

Student with Buns:
S-Saori-san!

> A female student comes in.

> If you recall correctly, this is the same student who borrowed
Saori's notes the other day.

Saori:
...Oh, Higashida-san. I'm sorry, I'm a little busy right now...

Girl with Buns:
Oh, it's okay, it'll be quick! Um... About the notes I borrowed...

Saori:
My notes...? Oh, right...

Girl with Buns:
Michi lost them. I'm sorry, I'll make sure I yell at her!

Saori:
Huh?
...Oh, that's fine.

Girl with Buns:
Well, s-see you!

> The student who borrowed Saori's notes takes off...

Saori:
.....
Oh, I'm sorry.
Um, so, if you've lost your student ID, you need to get a copy of
this form from the faculty office and...

> Eventually, the flood of people slows to a trickle, then stops
entirely.

Saori:
Whew... Today was pretty rough, don't you think?

PLAYER:
Let's stay here a little longer.

Saori:
Uh-huh, that's how I feel, too.

> Saori laughs...

Saori:
Oh, right, didn't we get homework today? I should make use of this
time and get it done...
Oh, wait, my notes...

PLAYER:
Wanna borrow mine?

Saori:
Huh? Oh, no, it's okay!
I was just thinking that my homework would be a lot easier if I had
the notes I gave her...
Well, there's no point complaining about what I don't have.

PLAYER:
Won't you confront her?

Saori:
Heh... It's okay...
You're such a nice person. Thanks, though.

> Saori smiles...

> You feel like you have a better understanding of Saori now...

Saori:
Oh, it's almost time.
Which do you want to do? Clean the counter or make sure everybody's
left the library?
Let's roshambo for it. Ready? Ro... Sham...

> You did your duties in the school library committee and left
school with Saori...

*********
Hermit 4
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> Not too many students came by today, so you spent a lot of time
chatting with Saori...

Saori:
Wow, is that how that teacher is?
Heh, I didn't know at all.
I learn so much when I talk to you...
I never get to hear all these rumors that go around the school...

> Saori seems to be having fun...

Male Student:
H-Hey, Saori-san.

> A boy comes in and stands in front of Saori...

> He seems to be smirking for some reason...

Saori:
Oh, umm... Takaoka-kun. How can I help you?

Male Student:
Uh, would you be interested in going out for karaoke?

Saori:
...Okay?

Male Student:
Seriously? Then, how about today?

Saori:
I still have some things to do there today, so...

Male Student:
Aww, I'll wait around. Let's go once you're free.

Saori:
Oh... Okay then.

Male Student:
Well, I'll be waiting in the classroom.

> The boy leaves...

Saori:
...That was sudden. It surprised me.

PLAYER:
Do you get along with him?

Saori:
...I don't really know him.
But if he really wants to go out with me, then...

PLAYER:
Stand up for yourself!

Saori:
Heh... It's not that big a deal.

> Saori laughs as if she just heard a funny joke...

Saori:
I don't really have any opinions of my own.
If there's someone willing to take the lead, I'll gladly follow...
I don't need someone... I just want to be needed by someone else.
If I can find someone who needs me, I'd love that person with every
fiber of my being.
...Do you think it's wrong to think that way?

PLAYER:
I can understand that.

Saori:
Really? Heh... I'm happy to hear that.

> Saori smiles...

> You feel like you understand Saori a little better now...

Saori:
Oh, it's almost time...
...I should get going. I did promise after all...

> You did your duties in the school library committee and said
goodbye to Saori...

*********
Hermit 5
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> You did your duties as a member of the library committee...

Saori:
That reminds me, I heard thatthe library committee wants to put
together a school newsletter.
It'll be about things like how to take care of your books and
reminders to return them before they're overdue...
At least, that's what I heard is going to go in it.

PLAYER:
That sounds boring.

Saori:
I agree. Nobody wants to read about that kind of thing.
That's why Ms. Ounishi said she was going to look into other things
that students would be interested in.
But it's far more likely that the ones who have to do the actual
writing will be...

[Rapid footsteps is heard]

Girl's Voice:
Saori, you here!?

Saori:
Huh...? Yes? Can I help you?

Gaudy Female Student:
You can help me kick your ass!

> A female student barges in, with a furious expression...

Gaudy Female Student:
Who the hell do you think you are!? Keep your hands off my
boyfriend!

Saori:
Boyfriend?

Gaudy Female Student:
Don't play dumb with me!
You left school together, and even went out to karaoke! He told me
all about it!

Saori:
Karaoke...? Oh, you mean Takaoka-kun?

Gaudy Female Student:
...You skank! You're the one who asked him out!

Saori:
Huh? But he's the one--

Gaudy Female STudent:
Ma-kun told me all about it! He said you seduced him!

Saori:
Me...?

Gaudy Female Student:
Don't give me that shit!

[She slaps Saori]

Saori:
Eek...

> Saori was slapped...!

Gaudy Female Student:
You so much as say hello to my man again... you're goin' down.

PLAYER:
It's a misunderstanding!

Saori:
N-No, it's okay!

Gaudy Female Student:
Seriously... Keep to yourself, bitch.

> The girl leaves...

> The few students currently in the library keep their distance and
look away...

Saori:
Oh... I'm sorry for the commotion...

> ...The students hurriedly leave...

Saori:
I'm sorry you had to see that...

PLAYER:
I don't mind at all.

Saori:
Mm... Thanks.

> Saori smiles weakly...

Saori:
I... did have some ulterior motive of my own, after all.
I thought it'd be nice to have a friend around my own age...

PLAYER:
Did you like Takaoka-kun?

Saori:
...No, unfortunately.

> Saori smiles weakly, her eyes shining with tears...

Saori:
...I have someone I like.
But it'll never work out, and I can't do anything about it.

PLAYER:
Why can't it work?

Saori:
Ah-heh...
I've never mentioned it to anyone else before...
It's so nice to be able to talk about it...
I could never tell anyone...

> Saori smiles weakly...

> You feel like you understand Saori a little better now...

Saori:
It's almost time to stop today... I doubt any more people will come.
...Let's go home.

> You did your duties in the school library committee and left
school with Saori...

*********
Hermit 6
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> You did your duties as a library committee member...

> ...But almost no students have come to the library today.

Saori:
Hardly anyone's stopped by. It's been like this since this morning.

PLAYER:
Since this morning?

Saori:
Huh?
Oh, um...
.....

> A female student enters.

> ...But she quickly turns around and leaves.

Saori:
...She left.
I wonder... Is it my fault that nobody's come in today?

PLAYER:
What do you mean?

Saori:
Umm...
I think I stand out a little... Then again, that's an
understatement.

> Saori smiles weakly...

Saori:
No one talks to me, no one responds when I say hello...
They're not actually doing anything to me, so it's not like being
bullied...
It's just... everyone's being really distant to me.
...Oh, if they see you with me, they might start new rumors...

PLAYER:
Let them talk.

Saori:
PLAYER-chan...
Yeah... Thanks.

> Saori smiles happily...

Ms. Ounishi:
Ah, good. You're here.
There's some extra space left in the newsletter I was talking about.
Could you write up something really quickly?

Saori:
Oh, yes.
But... What should we write about?

Ms. Ounishi:
Is there anything you want to write about in particular?

Saori:
...Not really.

Ms. Ounishi:
Oh, really? Hm... What were those kids saying...?

Saori:
What kids...?

Ms. Ounishi:
I did some research into articles that I thought students would like
to read about.
Apparently, love advice columns are very popular. Whip up some fake
letters and answer the questions.

Saori:
Love advice...?

Ms. Ounishi:
I know it's the lowest common denominator, but it's what people
want, so what the hey.
I'm counting on you two.

Saori:
Oh, yes...

> Ms. Ounishi leaves...

Saori:
Umm, the manuscript... Ah, this must be it.

> Saori pulls out something that looks like the newsletter
manuscript from the stack of papers on the table...

Saori:
...There's a lot of space left. Can we write that much...?

PLAYER:
We'll just have to try.

Saori:
Yeah, you're right...
Then, let's get to it.
Umm... Love advice...
What sounds like a realistic problem someone would have?

PLAYER:
I can't get a boyfriend.

Saori:
I-I see... So it's stuff like that.
.....
.....
...It's no use. I can't think of anything to write.
Okay, I'll write the title and work on the layout. Can you write the
article?

PLAYER:
I'm not too confident.

Saori:
I think anything you write would be better than what I'd come up
with. I don't know about that sort of thing.
.....
My personal experiences aren't worth shit here.

PLAYER:
'Shit'!?

Saori:
Ahahaha!
Sorry, I just wanted to try cursing for once.
How did I do? Did I say that right?

PLAYER:
It was great.

Saori:
Heh heh heh...
Ah... Hoo, that was fun.
Haaaaa...
It's so wonderful to be able to say what I want.
Speaking your thoughts out loud... It's a wonderful feeling.
...That's what I thought when I was watching you.
I must've been envious of you...
...Thanks.

> Saori smiles, and seems refreshed...

> You're not sure you understand Saori better, but you feel closer
to her...

Saori:
Let's get to work on that article. What should the next letter be
about?
"I'm in a long-distance relationship, and I miss my boyfriend
sooooooo much!" ...Does that sound believable?

> The two of you somehow completed the article for the newsletter,
then you went back to the dorm...

*********
Hermit 7
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> You did your duties as a library committee member...

Saori:
PLAYER-chan, can you find a book on shelf A3 for me...?

> An announcement is being made...

Announcement:
...Please pardon the interruption.
Saori Hasegawa of class 2-C...
PLAYER of class 2-F...
Please report to the faculty office at once. I repeat...

Saori:
...They're calling for us?

PLAYER:
Well, let's go.

Saori:
Yeah, let's see what's up.

[Faculty Office]

Mr. Ekoda:
I'm surprised you could waltz in here without any sense of shame,
Hasegawa. What is the meaning of this!?

> Mr. Ekoda slams a magazine on the desk...

> A large heading reads:

> "The Continued Corruption of Our Nation's Youth: Rampant Sexuality
in 'G' High"

Saori:
Huh...?

Mr. Ekoda:
This is your picture, isn't it!?

> There is a photo with that article.

> There's a black bar over the eyes... but it does look like Saori.

> The name has been changed to "Shiori Nagatani"

Mr. Ekoda:
I'm not even going into the filth in this article. Some brainless
journalist must have talked to you.

> You quickly skim through the article that Mr. Ekoda threw on the
desk...

> It seems this "Shiori Nagatani" is openly talking about the
"nightly activities" all the girls participate in.

Saori:
I... never...

Mr. Ekoda:
Another student from this school brought this to my attention,
saying "my school's reputation is ruined!"
She also made a report on you:
"Hasegawa-san makes sexual advances towards male classmates, uses
vulgar language behind out backs..."
"...and she never interacts with us because she thinks she's
superior to the rest of the students."

Saori:
.....

Mr. Ekoda:
In other words, your reputation is terrible. I'm not surprised you'd
stoop to doing something like this.
I don't know about your "nightly activities", but you can't go
around causing your school trouble like this.
This affects not only you, but your guardians and the peopl around
you as well.
...Anyway, it's been decided that you're going to be suspended. Do
you understand?

Saori:
I...

PLAYER:
You've got this all wrong!

Mr. Ekoda:
Zip it. The important thing here is how this article reached the
general public.
You think you can change that? Hm?
We have to make an example for the other students and their parents.
There must be punishment.
Your parents told us to be careful about you...
Now I see why.
...You have such wonderful parents, Hasegawa. Why are you doing this
to them?

Saori:
.....

> You both left the Faculty Office and decided to go home for
today...

Saori:
I'm sorry...
If you stay near me, you're going to lose any reputation you had.

PLAYER:
Don't worry about it.

Saori:
.....
Thank you...

> Saori trembles...

Saori:
That article's a lie...
I didn't say anything...
...But I did let a photographer take a picture of me.
He said it was for an article about the straightedge lifestyle in
today's high school students...
He wanted a shot with me in my uniform...
Look what 4000 yen got me into...

PLAYER:
Didn't you suspect this?

Saori:
No... It didn't even cross my mind at all...
A girl in my class asked if I'd be willing to do an easy job...
I didn't really want to do it, but I didn't care...
...Maybe I just wanted to help her out.
Maybe... I just wanted a friend.

> Saori laughs...

Saori:
I really am older than everyone now...
When I was younger, everyone said that I was more mature than the
kids around me and wouldn't have young friends...
But adults were kind and treated me well...
.....
But everything... was a lie.
Everything... like when they said things like "I love you..."

> Saori smiles, but appears to be on the brink of tears...

Saori:
I acted just how the adults around me wanted me to act...
All I had to do was smile and stay quiet.
As long as I did that, they'd call me cute and be happy with me.
It's too late now... I don't know how to stand on my own anymore.
I'm too scared...

PLAYER:
I'm with you.

Saori:
PLAYER-chan...

> Saori's lips tremble...

> You feel like you understand a little about what Saori is going
through...

Saori:
I'm sorry for dragging you into this mess...
I...
I know I shouldn't be feeling this way, but part of me is happy and
thankful that you were with me...
I probably... wouldn't be able to endure this myself...

> You made sure Saori got home safely before heading back to the
dorm...

*********
Hermit 8
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> After Saori's suspension ended, you resumed your duties as a
library committee member with her...

> There are students using the library, but few of them line up at
Saori's section of the counter...

Saori:
.....

> Saori hangs her head low...

PLAYER:
Don't let it get to you.

Saori:
PLAYER-chan...

> Saori seems relieved...

Saori:
...You shouldn't be talking to me. If someone sees you...
They'll get the wrong idea, like when we were both called to the
facultly office together.
...I don't want to get you involved.

PLAYER:
I don't mind that at all.

Saori:
You should, though...
...But I'm glad to hear you say it.

> Saori smiles weakly...

Saori:
Um...
I might be transferred to another school.

PLAYER:
When!?

Saori:
Once the paperwork is done...
My parents said that I'm an ungrateful child and a shame to my
family...
...They're going to send me to a private school far away.
That's.. fine with me, but...
I don't really like that I'm going to be separated from you...

> Saori smiles sadly...

> You sense a bond between you and Saori...

Saori:
I need to start packing...
Still, I don't really have much luggage to take along.
Whenever I came back from overseas, my room would be empty... Just
like it is now.
I... don't need anything.

> You said goodbye to Saori, then returned to the dorm.

*********
Hermit 9
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> Some students are making use of the library, but they keep their
distance from Saori...

Saori:
...Hey, PLAYER-chan? Would it be okay if I asked you to take care of
the counter by yourself?
There aren't many people here today...
And... It seems like nobody wants me to be checking their books out
anyway, so...
I'll go put the book returns back on the shelves.

Male Student's Voice:
Is she the one that was in the magazine...?

> You can hear several boys gossiping behind the shelves...

Male Student's Voice:
You hung out with her? ...Seriously?

Another Male Student:
She'll do anything you ask. It's like she can't say no.

Saori:
......

PLAYER:
I'm going to punch them.

Saori:
N-No, don't. It's not going to change anything.
I was a fool...
...Thanks. I'm really happy that you're willing to stand up for
someone like me...

> Saori smiles weakly...

Saori:
Everything about that article is a lie...
All those things about me having sex and seducing boys and acting
superior...
I don't care how other people see me... But I want you to know that.

PLAYER:
I believe you.

Saori:
Thank you... As long as you understand, I don't need anything
else...

> Saori smiles weakly...

> ...Even though she says she doesn't care, is this really the
truth?

> Being lied about, having nasty rumors spread about her, and now
transferring to another school after all this...

> That seems like nothing more than confessing to all the lies being
said...

PLAYER:
Let's clear these lies up.

Saori:
Huh...? B-But how...?

PLAYER:
Make them see the truth!

Saori:
But, how can I do that to everyone...?

Announcement:
...This is an announcement.
Takao Yamaguchi of class 1-E, we have found your lost property.

> The school announcements...?

PLAYER:
That's it!

Saori:
Huh...?

> You suggested that you use the school broadcast to speak to all
the students in the school.

Saori:
The broadcast... B-But I can't do that...

PLAYER:
You can do it!

Saori:
PLAYER-chan...
I...
I don't want people to think the wrong things about me...
I want them all to be my friends...
I... always thought that...
.....
If you'll be by my side...
Then I'll do it...

> Saori looks like she's about to cry...

> PA Room... There's no one inside...

Saori:
My heart's pounding... Look, my hands are cold...

> Saori's hands are as frigid as ice...

> You clasp her hand tightly...

Saori:
PLAYER-chan... I'll... do my best.
I need to do this... Running away won't help...

> Saori seems to be trying to encourage herself...

Saori:
I didn't know that speakign from the heart was this terrifying...
...But I remember something.
"It feels good when your feelings match your words..."
I've heard that before, but never believed it...
You're the one who made me feel that way before...
But I'm going to do this, because you believe in me.

> Saori grips your hand tightly...

> Saori went into the broadcast room...

> ...Eventually, you begin to hear Saori's voice over the intercom.

Saori's Broadcast:
This is Saori Hasegawa of class 2-C. There's something I'd like to
say.
Everything in that magazine article is a lie. I never said anything
to a journalist.
That picture is of me.
I didn't know how it would be used, and I deeply regret not
considering that when I agreed to let it be taken.

[The sound of footsteps is heard]

Yelling Voice:
Hey, Hasegawa!

> Teachers are rushing your way...

Mr. Ekoda:
Are you part of this, PLAYER!?
How disrespectful do you have to be to hijack the school broadcast
to pull a stunt like this!?
Hasegawa! Stop this at once!

> Mr. Ekoda moves towards the door to the broadcast room...

> ...but you nonchalantly get in his way.

Mr. Ekoda:
PLAYER...
Now, look how wonderful Ms. Toriumi's students are!

Ms. Toriumi:
...What?

Mr. Ekoda:
Ms. Ounishi, isn't Hasegawa one of your students? Her behavior must
be caused by your teaching ability.

Ms. Ounishi:
...Is she saying anything that isn't true? If I recall, the one who
tried to cover up the truth about that was--

Mr. Ekoda:
Don't you start pulling reason on me! Ugh, you science majors...

Ms. Ounishi:
What?

> The broadcast continues...

Saori's Broadcast:
I love this school.
The teachers are kind but strict, and I have a friend who believes
in me...
I'm very sorry that I cause all of you, students and faculty, any
trouble.
I really am sorry... From the bottom of my heart...

> Saori's voice trembles...

Mr. Ekoda:
.....

Male Student's Voice:
What's with this announcment? is this going out all over?

Female Student's Voice:
Maybe Saori-san joined the drama club.

> People are gathering around the broadcast room...

Mr. Ekoda:
E-Everyone, get lost!

Ms. Toriumi:
Everybody, if you stay here I'm goign to begin handing out homework!

> This single comment causes the students to flee in moments...

Saori:
Ah...

> Saori comes out of the broadcast room...

Saori:
...I'm sorry for what I did. I don't care if I get suspended or
expelled because of this...

Ms. Ounishi:
You wanted to prove your innocence, didn't you?

Saori:
...Yes.
Everyone's said so many terrible things about me... but I've never
done anything wrong.

Ms. Ounishi:
...But, was this the correct way to go about it?

Saori:
.....

PLAYER:
Was there any other way?

Ms. Ounishi:
...Who knows? Still, you should have brought this issue to us first.

Ms. Toriumi:
That makes this our problem. Mr. Ekoda, leave these students to us.

Mr. Ekoda:
Wh-What?

Ms. Toriumi:
Aren't you the one going on every day about how I should be taking
on more duties as a teacher?

Mr. Ekoda:
Hrrgh...
...I-I'd better see a report about this when it's over!

> Mr. Ekoda leaves...

Ms. Toriumi:
Bleah!
PLAYER-san, write up a report about this for us.
Something about how we all sat down, we should have given this more
thought, blah blah blah. ...Or should I do it?

Ms. Ounishi:
You seem to be letting her off rather easily.

Ms. Toriumi:
You don't plan to punish Hasegawa-san, do you, Ms. Ounishi?
What she did made me feel a lot better too.
I don't know how many times I've reprimanded my student for
gossiping but they just wouldn't listen.

Ms. Ounishi:
It must have taken guts to stand up for yourself like this.

Saori:
Oh... yes. But, it's because PLAYER-chan was with me...

Ms. Toriumi:
See, all it takes is a good friend.

Ms. Ounishi:
Yes, yes, you're the best teacher in the universe, Ms. Toriumi.
...Well then, you're free to go. I don't even want an essay out of
you.

Saori:
Th-Thank you very much.

> You walked home with Saori, who was laughing cheerfully...

*********
Hermit 10
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> You did your duties as a library committee member...

> None of the students are actively avoiding Saori, but few of them
seem to be friendly with her.

Ms. Ounishi:
Ah, good. You're still here. Sorry to keep you here so late on a day
like this.

Saori:
Oh no, it's my job as a member of the library committee to be here.

Ms. Ounishi:
I see... You're a hard-working girl.
Hopefully more people will come to understand that in time.

Saori:
Ms. Ounishi... Thank you very much.
...Hey, PLAYER-chan. Would you mind walking with me to the school gates?

[School gates]

Saori:
My ride's here, so I'm going that way.
This is where we say... farewell.

PLAYER:
Aren't you being melodramatic?

Saori:
...This is my last day here at Gekkoukan.
I'm leaving for that private school I told you about tonight.
I'm sorry that I couldn't tell you...

> Saori smiles...

Saori:
I'm going to be sad, but I think this is a turning point for me.
I'm going to try to start over and try to stand up on my own.

PLAYER:
You can do it, Saori.

Saori:
Thanks. I'll never forget about you.

> Saori smiles...

Saori:
I've always been told... to not have any opinions for myself.
...That is was an easier way to live.
I can make anything someone else's fault...
Deep down, I always believed that everything that happened to me was
the result of somebody else's doing.
But this is my life, and what I do happens to me.
No one can take my place, and I have no one to blame but myself for
what I let happen to me.
That's why I need to stand on my own.
I need to have my own voice...

> Saori laughs cheerfully...

Saori:
I knew that I'd never get anywhere if I let other people tell me
what to do. I've known it for a long time.
But, I had no one to give me the final push that I needed.
...And I was too scared to accept it, even if I did have someone to
help me.
But you pushed me forward, along with all the fears I had.
That's why... I was able to do this.

> Saori takes her cellphone out of her pocket.

> You can hear her voice being played from it.

Voice from Phone:
This is Saori Hasegawa of class 2-C.

> ...It seems to be a recording of the school announcement.

Saori:
Heh... I made a recording of the announcement as I was making it.
Whenever I feel scared or discouraged, I'm going to listen to it.
I was brave and spoke my own mind, and you helped me find that
courage...
I'm sure that this will give me strength if I ever need it.
I want you to remember this, too.
Please remember that it's because of you that I was able to do my
best. You saved me.
So... please take this.

> You accepted PA Recording from Saori.

> You saved it on your own cellphone...

Saori:
Lastly... Let's shake hands.

> Saori's hand is warm...

> You tightly clasp her trembling hand...

> You sense a strong bond with Saori...

> You have forged a bond that cannot be broken!

Saori:
Do you remember your first love?
Mine... was my uncle. Heh... I mean, I was a little girl. It's not
that unusual, right?
...That's why I wanted to hurry up and become an adult...
Every night, I would pray to the starts that I wanted to be grown
up. Now, I look back at my childhood and laugh.
I wish I could go back to those innocent times...
Maybe it's for the best that one's first love almost never comes
true.
...Well then, I'm going to go.
Thank you... Goodbye!

> Saori walks away with her head held high...

> You went back to the dorm alone...

*********
Hermit Post Game
*********

> Gekkoukan High, library...

> The door is unlocked, but there's no one inside...

Ms Ounishi:
Oh, there you are.
You remember Saori Hasegawa, right? I have a letter for you.

> Ms Ounishi hands you a letter...

Ms Ounishi:
...Her work here as a member of the library committee must have been
her only fond memories of this place.
Well, have a safe trip home.

> Ms ounishi leaves...

> You decide to read the letter alone in the library...

Letter from Saori:
PLAYER-chan, how are you?
This is probably the first time I've called you that.
I'm doing well.

> Saori's small handwriting fills the paper...

> You can imagine Saori's smiling face as she wrote this letter...

Letter from Saori:
I've gotten used to the dorms.
I've made friends that I talk to and laugh with everyday.
But there's no one like you, who would get angry and stand up for
me.
I think you're the only person who would do that for me, after all.
But, I believe that it would make you happy if I learned to enjoy
my life in this new place.
I'm doing my best to live my own life here.
There's... one thing that I never told you.
I did love someone... But he's no longer with us.
I made him suffer, and forced him into a corner...
My parents severely blamed me for the incident.
They sent me out as an exchange student and I never knew when I'd be
able to return to this country.
My parents must have not wanted to see my face.
Because I was sent far away, to a country where I had no one to rely
on, I didn't go to school at all.
A church took me in, and I prayed for his soul every day.
I prayed for him, and that he would forgive me for being too weak to
kill myself and end the pain...
PLAYER-chan, I'm so sorry. I was so weak that I couldn't tell you this.
I was scared that you would hate me.
After we started being friends, I began to want something more than
a casual friendship...
I wanted you to come to understand me...
But no one is ordering me around anymore. I'm acting as I wish.
But being in control of your destiny... It's a scary thing.
If I hurt someone's feelings, I feel like I'm denying myself
something.
It's much easier if I go with the flow...
But not doing that is to stand up for what you taught me.
It means that I'm alive... and I'm meant to be alive.
It's almost spring break, but I won't be going back hime. I haven't
contacted my parents, either.
But, one day I want to be able to say that I'm glad that I'm living.
And then, I want to be able to thank my parents...
And this is all because I had a friend like you.
Thank you

With my deepest gratitude...
Saori Hasegawa

> The letter ends there...

No comments:

Post a Comment