Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Case Study No. 1431: Anita

THE GUILT TRIP - Official Film Clip - "Dinner with Friends" - English
0:45
THE GUILT TRIP - Official Film Clip - "Dinner with Friends"

The Guilt Trip -- Starring Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogen - At Cinemas February 2013

http://www.theguilt trip.co.uk
Tags: Guilt Trip Comedy Official Trailer Movie Film Clip Barbara Streisand Seth Rogen Paramount Paramount Pictures New Funny English
Added: 1 year ago
From: paramountintl
Views: 538

[scene opens with Andy Brewster (reluctantly) having dinner with his mother Joyce and her friends]
JOYCE: Did you know that Andy is starting his own business?
DIANA: Oh, Andy! That's impressive!
ANITA: Is that right? Oh my god!
JOYCE: Yeah, he invented a new product and now he's gonna go travel door to door selling it. Isn't that right, Andy?
ANDY: No no, that's actually not even close to right.
DIANA: Y'know, it's dangerous to go door to door.
ANDY: I'm not going door to door. They stopped doing that ... decades ago.
JOYCE: I thought you told me that. Did I hear wrong?
ANDY: That's not, it's okay. It's complicated. That's close enough, I guess.
JOYCE: What do I know?
GAYLE: Andy, it's so nice to finally meet you.
JOYCE: Oh, you too. Yeah.
GAYLE: I have heard only great things about you.
JOYCE: Oh, that's nice.
ANDY: Gayle is our new friend. She's our Weight Watchers leader.
ANDY: Oh.
JOYCE: Her husband's dead.
ANDY: [pause] Oh. I ... I'm really sorry to hear that.
GAYLE: [pause] I'm not.
[all the women laugh, as Andy looks even more uncomfortable]
DIANA: He was horrible!
JOYCE: She couldn't wait to get rid of him, honey ...

---

From wikipedia.org:

The Guilt Trip is a 2012 American comedy-drama film directed by Anne Fletcher from a screenplay written by Dan Fogelman, starring Barbra Streisand and Seth Rogen, who both also served as executive producers on the film.

Andy Brewster (Seth Rogen) is a UCLA graduate organic chemist and inventor. He is attempting to get his environmentally friendly cleaning product, ScioClean, in a major retail store. However, each retail store he visits dismisses him before he can end his pitch. After a disappointing sales pitch to K-Mart, he visits his mother, Joyce Brewster (Barbra Streisand), in New Jersey before leaving on a cross-country trip to Las Vegas, lying to her that his pitch ended well so she won't worry about him. While there she reveals to him that he was named after a boy she fell in love with in Florida named Andrew Margolis, whom she hoped would object to her marriage with Andy's father. However, he never did and she felt that she never mattered to him afterwards. After a little research, he finds Andrew Margolis is still alive and unmarried living in San Francisco. He invites his unknowing mother on the trip, claiming he wants to spend some time with her.

Barbra Streisand as Joyce Brewster
Seth Rogen as Andy Brewster
Miriam Margolyes as Anita
Rose Abdoo as Diana
Kathy Najimy as Gayle

---

From ivanachubbuck.com:

ANDY: Couldn't you try Ma. I mean you're never going to meet a man like that. Dad died when I was eight years old. You've never been on one date since then, right?

JOYCE: You know what it comes down to? It comes down to M and Ms in bed. Yeah because in those years when I was with your father you know, I would hide them under my pillow until he fell asleep so I could eat them without being criticized. And I will never hide my M and Ms again.

ANDY: That really makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.

JOYCE: It does.

ANDY: That's a good reason to give up on men altogether because of candy.

JOYCE: Listen, you know what, you're the one to give advice honey? I mean why aren't you with someone.

ANDY: You know what it is Ma?

JOYCE: What?

ANDY: I just haven't found a girl that will let me eat M and Ms in bed at night.

JOYCE: Oh stop it.

ANDY: I mean but seriously. Why is that a legitimate excuse for you and not for me. You said the same thing.

JOYCE: No because I've had my marriage. I've had my family. I've been to the dance and now I am tired. You are skipping the dance altogether. Maybe you need therapy. Yeah. It helps me.

ANDY: I don't need therapy and since when do you go to therapy?

JOYCE: Anita and I meet once a week for coffee.

ANDY: Well unless you two are meeting a therapist for coffee then you're not going to therapy because Anita is a librarian.

JOYCE: I tell you what we mostly talk about.

ANDY: Yeah...

JOYCE: ...is why I blame myself for your deep seated problems with women.

ANDY: Oh good. You talk to Anita about my deep seated problems with women.

JOYCE: I do.

ANDY: ....that you've imagined. Yeah.

JOYCE: Sometimes I feel like I ruined it for you.

ANDY: You know what, I know you do...you know why? Because you set the bar so high for all other women that no other woman lives up to my mom.

JOYCE: No, it's not that honey.

ANDY: I'm going to sleep Ma, okay?

JOYCE: No... Anita says I should tell you about the boy I fell in love with in Florida.

ANDY: What?

JOYCE: It's time you know this about me Andy.

ANDY: Know what?

JOYCE: Well there was this incident in my life that I really never told you about. I went to Florida on vacation and I was very young...nineteen...twenty...something like that.

ANDY: Ok...good...

JOYCE: And I met a boy and fell in love with him.

ANDY: Yeah...

JOYCE: Honestly Andy. I fell in love with him kind of instantly. .

ANDY: Ok...

JOYCE: He lived in Manhatten too and so we came back and we started seeing each other. He didn't want anything serious but I was just caught up with this ...oh...the passion of it all..

ANDY: Oh...

JOYCE: Oh Andy we were so passionate...

ANDY: Feel free to kind of skim over those details as much as you want.

JOYCE: yeah, I don't want to gross you out.

ANDY: Yeah...that's cool.

JOYCE: He didn't want to be serious really at the time but I wanted a famiy. I wanted a baby. That's all I ever really wanted. And so eventually your father came along.

ANDY: What about the guy from Florida?

JOYCE: Well, he became boyfriend number one and your dad became boyfriend number two.

ANDY: Ahhh...

JOYCE: Honey...

ANDY: That's nasty.

JOYCE: it was a trampy year for Mommy.

ANDY: Ohhhh...

JOYCE: Please...anyway...

ANDY: Why are you telling me this?

No comments:

Post a Comment