Thursday, March 28, 2013

Case Study No. 0878: Zombified Staff of Belize Library

Let's Play "The Spiteful Dead" Ep5 - Quoth the Zombies... Ever Moan (A)
14:41
LPisode #47
Note: Videos have been updated!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ GDGaming?feature= mhum#g/c/ C830BB137BAFB270

The escape plan has been made. Now our heroes must traverse a vast library for supplies. Unfortunately for them, that means becoming librarians. However, for our resident dracoon, this is where the game starts picking up.

* * *

{Mini-Sodes}
B - http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v= gzjpXBzBwLM
C - http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v= oGyWDiXPu9w
D - http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v= rqbKZEPWMrc
E - http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v= k2XMmPNOTg4

{Episode List & Discussion}
What do you think so far?
http://www.viddler.com/groups/letsallplay/discuss/1489

{Game Download}
RPG Maker Magazine:
http://www.rpgmmag.com/ game_display.php? id=74
RPG Maker Pavilion:
http://www.pavilionboards.com/ forum/ showthread.php? t=2800
Tags: lets let's play lp video game games playthrough talkthrough commentary walkthrough rpgm rpgm1 rm1 rpg maker RPG ???? RPG ????3 homebrew review the spiteful dead xisthruos zombie zombies
Added: 2 years ago
From: GDGaming
Views: 24

[scene opens in an abandoned clothing store, as Robert and Alicia are hiding from the waves of zombies roaming the streets outside]
ROBERT: [to himself] Some damn deep shit I'm in now ... if it weren't enough that I'm walled up in here because of those damn zombie things, I'm now an escaped convict traveling with a cop who's my ex!
[he looks around]
ROBERT: [to himself] Jeez, sounds like a bad soap ... Ah, she doesn't hate me anymore. Lately, she's been acting downright warm ... since we got out of the police department, at least.
[he looks around]
ROBERT: [to himself] Maybe ... maybe she's falling for me again. Maybe all this action is getting to her ...
[he looks around]
ROBERT: [to himself] Whatever, it's just like me to think about women during a time like this ... That's probably one of the reasons she left me in the first place! We just didn't belong together. The attraction was purely physical.
[he looks around]
ROBERT: [to himself] Oh jeez, that's right ... She's got the hottest body I've ever seen on a woman. And she's changing right behind that door ... oh man.
[he turns towards the door]
ROBERT: [to himself] Maybe I could just take a peek ...
[he takes a step towards the door]
ALICIA: [from off camera] Okay, I'm done!
[he quickly steps back, as Alicia (who wanted to change out of her police uniform) opens the door]
ALICIA: How do I look?
ROBERT: Er ... Don't you always wear that outfit?
ALICIA: [pause] Well, I like it, at least ... Brown vest, brown pants, brown boots, pink shirt. I remember when you said you liked it, too.

[...]

[Robert and Alice soon discover a mage hiding in the store]
ROBERT: I'm Robert Miguelle, and this is Officer Alicia Cetty. A few of those monsters chased us, so we came here ... in case you hadn't guessed already.
BEN: Pleased to meet you.
[he turns to Alicia]
BEN: Charmed.
ROBERT: You?
BEN: My name is Benjamin Ferikson ... Err, have you heard of my works?
[the two look at each other]
BEN: I thought so ... Nearly everyone I've spoken to thinks I'm off my rocker.
ALICIA: I'm ... sorry.
BEN: [pause] You don't have to be. Well ... um, well.
[he turns away]
ROBERT: Unh ... Ben?
BEN: Oh, yes yes, right. Hrmmm, let me try to explain this to you ... are either of you familiar with the magic arts?
[the two look at each other]
BEN: In the dark?
ALICIA: [pause] Witchcraft, you mean?
BEN: Sort of ... I'm sure either of you can recall the myth of ancient Amalyian priests and monks performing miracles through the supposed "bond" between them and the Goddess? In my youth I was lucky enought to come across the legendary "third book" of the covenant, the last known record of the sacred rites of Amalya.
[he looks around]
BEN: Many scholars have doubted its existence ... you can imagine the response I received when I claimed finding it. I decided to instead spend my energies learning some of the rites. I thought maybe then someone would believe me. I've been teaching myself since, but my skills at this point are only minute.
ROBERT: [pause] So you're a wizard?
BEN: The ancients preferred "magi," but yes.
ROBERT: [pause] I'm still not sure I can believe you ...
ALICIA: Yes, that's a little hard to swallow, Ben ... could you perhaps show us more?
BEN: [pause] No ... not for a while, sorry. You see, spellcasting takes quite a bit out of me.
ROBERT: Uh huh ...
BEN: [pause] You two must be hungry ... I have some food stocked in my room. Would you like to come along?
ROBERT: [pause] You've been hiding out?
BEN: Yes ... For a while, I've been living in a secluded part of the library so that I could more fully research the mystic arts.
[he turns away]
BEN: I only recently discovered the city had become overrun by zombies ... I, well, I thought I was the last living person left on the island! I'm glad that I found you two ...
ROBERT: Don't tell me you've been getting lonely.
BEN: Uhm ... well, yes ...
[he faces them again]
BEN: But I've also been planning an escape ... though I haven't worked out the details.
ROBERT: Hell, if you've got a plan, I'm sure we can help out ... After all, we are all in this together.
BEN: Splendid! Let me show you to my place, eh? We can all stay there a few nights!
[the screen fades to black]
BEN: Right through this passage ...
[the sound of splashing water can be heard]
ALICIA: Ewww, what ... is this?
BEN: Oh ... forgot to tell you ... this is a passageway through a sewage drain.
ROBERT: [pause] You've got to be kidding! This is at least waist deep!
BEN: Yeah, sorry ... Don't worry, it lets up a little ways up the tunnel.
ALICIA: Ugh ... so until then, we'll have to slog through it ...
[the sounds of movement can be heard]
ROBERT: [pause] Hey, I've just been thinking ...
ALICIA: Yeah?
ROBERT: This would be a terrible way to die ...
ALICIA: Oh, god ... I don't even want to think about that now!
ROBERT: Heh ...
[the sounds of movement can be heard]
ALICIA: Ben? Have you ever researched about zombies?
BEN: As a matter of fact, I did thumb through a few books on the subject recently ...
ALICIA: And?
BEN: Well, there's not really much to know outside the movies. They're the living, walking dead, they travel in packs ... and they eat flesh. That's about it.
ALICIA: What about intelligence?
BEN: There is none whatsoever. Your average zombie is about as intelligent as an insect.
ALICIA: I mean, what about the information left inside the brain of the victim?
BEN: Hmmm ... From what I know, it's non-existant. Zombies themselves are not human. They are a completely different species altogether ... Perhaps, since they do harbor their victims' bodies, perhaps they do retain a certain amount of knowledge from their hosts. It is an interesting subject, one I may want to look into.
[the sounds of movement can be heard, then cut to a hidden room beneath the library, as Robert and his party emerge from the sewer system]
BEN: Here we are ...
ALICIA: Nice place.
BEN: Hey, thanks ...
ROBERT: Whew, finally here ...
BEN: If you'd like, there's a few dozen crates of canned food up in the storage area past the staircase. Take all you want, but please ... eat all you take. We shouldn't waste what we've got. Also, I only have one bed, but there are some sheets up in the storage as well ...
ROBERT: Is there plumbing in this joint?
BEN: All there is, is running water ... you'll just have to use a bucket for the time being ... Rest up. We can discuss our strategy tomorrow.
[the screen fades to black]
ROBERT: Hey, Alicia. What kind of food has this guy got?
ALICIA: [pause] I hope you like spam for every meal of the day.
ROBERT: Oh, geez ...

Every day just seems longer than the last ...
It's hopeless.

We can't seem to come up with a viable escape method. So much for Ben's "strategy."
There's hardly ever time for planning, though ...

Robert has made it a habit of leaving after breakfast, and spends most of the day outside in the clock-tower. He won't let me follow, so I'm stuck here ...

True, Benjamin has proven himself quite a jovial fellow, and I enjoy hearing his stories, but he spends far too much of the day engrossed in his books.
I've tried reading them myself, just to pass these interminable hours, but I can't get into them. Most are centuries old, and written in tongues ...

All I can do to pass the time is write.

I'm afraid.
I fear for my family.
My mother ... stern at times, almost to an unbearable level, but still a kind, nurturing woman.
Father ... so kind ... so easygoing ... even when put to the limit ...
Cicilla ... no older than ten. Did those creatures get to her as well ... ?

Robert and Ben don't share this problem.
Robert - orphaned as an infant.
Ben - he could care less of his parents ...

I feel like I'm facing this alone.

Robert wants to wait out the winter months here ... in the study.
I've expressed my concern.
But he's convinced the cold doesn't affect the zombies; that we'd just freeze to death trying to outrun them ...
From what I've been hearing during the night, that seems to have some truth to it.

At night I can hear them scuffling about, moaning.
Searching for their next victim.

I want them to stop. I want to scream out at them until I grow hoarse.

Then they would find me.
Chase me.
Tear me apart.

I want to cry.
But no tears ever come.

How much longer ... can we go on like this?

["December" appears on screen, as the scene changes to the roof of the library, as Robert stands underneath the clock tower]
ROBERT: [to himself] Seven o'clock ... I guess I'm out a little early.
[Ben enters the scene]
ROBERT: Ben.
BEN: Yeah, hi Robert.
[he walks over and stands next to him]
ROBERT: [pause] It's a dense forest of concrete, a habitat to hundreds of blood-thirsty monsters. You can't see them, but you know they're there. You can hear them moaning and scratching at the walls ... Sometimes, if you listen closely, you can hear screaming. I guess it's only natural there would be others like us out there, running and hiding. Being hunted.
BEN: Robert, have you found anything new about them yet?
ROBERT: Yeah, look. At the base of the library.
[he looks over the ledge]
BEN: There must be at least a hundred of them!
ROBERT: Yeah. The same thing happened when Alicia and I escaped the police station. They must have some kind of "sixth sense" for the living.
BEN: This is terrible! We're going to be stuck inside here!
ROBERT: [pause] Maybe not.
BEN: What? You have a plan?
ROBERT: Is there any way we can get to that parking garage from here?
BEN: Hmmm ... not that I know of. It's totally unconnected with the library.
ROBERT: We'll find a way. A car's the only way we can break through those hordes. Then maybe we can make it to the harbor ...
BEN: How about we make a connection?
ROBERT: Eh?
BEN: Between the buildings. Like maybe a grappling hook?
ROBERT: [pause] That may work. Go talk with Alicia about it. I think I'll need to study the zombies' movements a little while longer ...
BEN: Uh ... whatever you say.
[he leaves, as Robert continues staring over the ledge]
ROBERT: [pause] Damn, what's with those things? It's like they know I'm watching them ...
[he starts firing his shotgun over the ledge]
ROBERT: Fuckers! How the fuck do you like that, huh?!
[he reloads, then stops]
ROBERT: [pause] Screw it, I'll need these rounds for later ... Wonder how Alicia's doing. Seems like I haven't seen her in ages.
["March" appears on screen, then cut to Robert and his party in the hidden room under the library]
ROBERT: Go over the plan once more.
ALICIA: We're going to look for materials for a make-shift grappling hook. If we travel in a group, we'll be better protected from being overpowered by monsters. Once we make the grappling hook, we'll use it to reach the multistory. After that, we'll hotwire a car and drive it to the harbor. We sail away from there on out.
ROBERT: Good. If all goes well, we'll be out of here by tonight.
["Chapter 2: Textbooks Roasting on an Open Fire" appears on screen, as Robert checks one of the bookshelves in the room]
ROBERT: [reading] "Mind Focus and the Importance of Physical Conditioning."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: This book is written in odd symbols.
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Alchemy Made Easy."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Advanced Studies Booklet 2."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Advanced Studies Booklet 1."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "McKeelin's Spell Studies, Early Course, Charms and Cantrips."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "The Art of The Magi."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Harvold and Grich's Advanced Study of Darklings."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Harvold and Grich's Comprehensive Beastiary."
[the player heads for the entrance to the sewers]
ROBERT: Don't even want to think about going back there.
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "The Unfinished Tales of Renoir."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "High, Fly High."
[Robert and his party use Ben's secret entrance to enter the main library, where they are immediately attacked by a zombie]
CADAVER 1: Uuuuugghhhaaa ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Man's biggest problem has always been his stubborness. We are too quick to see things the way in which we were taught, and too slow to come to independant thought. To truly come to grips with our universe, we must leave behind all rhyme and reason ... "
["Found 'Astro Physics'" appears on screen, then Robert checks one of the bookshelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf S"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf T"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf U-V"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf W-Z"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf O"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf P"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf Q"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf R"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf K"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf L"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf M"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf N"
[they enter another room in the library, where Robert stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "Historical Fiction"
[they enter the Historical Fiction room, as Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf A"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf B"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf C"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf D"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf E"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf F"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf G"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf H"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf I"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf J"
[Robert and his party encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 2: Rrrrrrggggg ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Of these creatures, the most intriguing is the domesticated."
["Found 'Biology'" appears on screen, then they encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 3: Ho ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Fueled by their anger towards the humans who had demeaned them for centuries past, the demons invaded from the west. Overpowering their adversaries with ... "
["Found 'The Demon Crusades'" appears on screen, then they return to the main reading room as Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Mystery"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Children's Literature"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Romance"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Poetry"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Short Stories"
[he stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "Fantasy/Science Fiction"
[they enter the Fantasy/Science Fiction room, as Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf D"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf C"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf B"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf A"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf G"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf F"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf E"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf J"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf I"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf H"
[he checks another shelf]
[they return to the main reading room, where they encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 4: Uuuuubbbaaa ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Animousity recieves clear hell in verse enters seadog."
["Found 'Est Quay No'" appears on screen, as Robert checks a sign near the front desk]
ROBERT: [reading] "Belize Library, where our motto is ... Use the library more! Ground Floor - Non Fiction. Second Floor - Research. Third Floor - Fiction. Fourth Floor - Archives. Please return materials to their proper locations! Have a nice day!!"
[the player heads for the main entrance of the library]
ROBERT: Way too risky to leave. It'd be the Police Department scene all over again.
[Robert and his party encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 5: Ho ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "The beast said unto us, 'Come, ye small ones, onto my back. Our journey takes us over many seas.' Being a rather docile party, we did as told."
["Found 'Puffles the Dragon'" appears on screen, then they climb the stairs to the second floor, where they encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 6: Luuuuuhhh ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Though it wasn't such an odd occurrance. Mark sat back into his chair with his bottle of scotch, and let his worries wander away in a drunken stupor ... "
["Found 'Colony 6'" appears on screen, then they enter another room where they encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 7: Fuuuuhhh ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Over time, I found the man's table manners most inappropriate for a person of his rank ... "
["Found 'Pinsky VIII'" appears on screen, then Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "W-X"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Y-Z"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "S-V"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "J-L"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "M-O"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "P-R"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "A-B"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "C"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "D-F"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "G-I"
[Robert stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "The Arts and Media"
[they enter the Arts and Media room, as Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Videocassettes"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Comics"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Art Collections"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Microfilm"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Biological Studies"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Mathematics"
[he stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "Scientific Studies"
[Robert and his party encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 8: Uuuuunnnngghhh ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "With little or no purpose left in my life, I have chosen to write about my late husband. He was a decent man, never spoke a word against anyone ... "
["Found 'Brian Eaher'" appears on screen, then they encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 9: Ho ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "It was clearly a summer's eve. The field adourned in deep green, whilst the mild sea breezes carressed it. Though I still knew not where I was."
["Found 'Shadows 1887'" appears on screen, as Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Biography"
[they enter another room, as Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf Z"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf Y"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf W-X"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf V"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf U"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf S-T"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf P-R"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf L-O"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf H-K"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf G-H"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf D-F"
["Placed 'The Demon Crusades' on the shelf." appears on screen, then Robert checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf C"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf A-B"
[Robert stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "3rd Floor - History. 4th Floor - Archives 1."
[Robert and his party encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 10: Uuuuuhuhuhhhh ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "A&'77 r&w c)uee h)6 i&) vvu e8) sde"
["Found 'Te&fv d%ug$'" appears on screen, as they climb the stairs and then Robert stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "3rd Floor - Historical Non Fiction. 4th Floor - Archives 1."
[Robert and his party encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 11: Yrrrggghhhhsss ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Pride of the Emperor (1346-48). Vernon Dwoin. This gorgeous portrait was done by the very last of the 'ancient peoples'. It was inspired by his days in the 'Demon Crusades' when a chance encounter ... "
["Found 'Gothic Art'" appears on screen, then Robert and his party enter a room without any lights on, where a strange robed figure can be seen wandering around]
LIBRARIAN: Oh, the books ... Oh my, the books ... All out of order ...
[they are forced out of the room by the robed figure, then Robert stops to check a nearby sign]
ROBERT: [reading] "3rd Floor - Biography. 4th Floor - Archives 2."
[Robert checks one of the nearby shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf E"
["Placed 'Est Quay No' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they encounter another zombie]
CADAVER 12: Noigel ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "Azmael left the cottage tome in hand, and another life on what remained of his conscience. He also realised a sudden dryness in his throat ... "
["Found 'Heart of Cold'" appears on screen, as they climb down the stairs and return to the first room in the library, where Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf S"
["Placed 'Shadows 1887' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they move on to the Fantasy/Science Fiction room, where Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf H"
["Placed 'Heart of Cold' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they head back to the second floor, where Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf G-I"
["Placed 'Gothic Art' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they enter the Scientific Studies room, where Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf A"
["Placed 'Astro Physics' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they head to the fourth floor, where Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf Q-T"
["Placed 'Te&fv d%ug$' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they head for the Archives 2 room, where Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf P-R"
["Placed 'Pinsky VIII' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they encounter another zombie]
MONSTER: Orriaaahhhh ...
[they defeat the zombie, as "Monster dropped a book ... " appears on screen]
ROBERT: [reading] "This was the story of six young men and women striving to find fame, wealth, and love, in the romantic city of Catsablinka ... "
["Found 'Castablinka'" appears on screen, as they enter another room and Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf P"
["Placed 'Puffles the Dragon' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they return to the Historical Fiction room and Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf C"
["Placed 'Catsablinka' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they return to the Scientific Studies room and Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf B-C"
["Placed 'Biology' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they return to the Biography section and Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf A-B"
["Placed 'Brian Eaher' on the shelf." appears on screen, then they head for the Fantasy/Science Fiction room and Robert checks one of the shelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "Shelf C"
["Placed 'Colony 6' on the shelf." appears on screen, as (having re-shelved all the books) Robert and his party enter the room that previously did not have any lights on]
BEN: There was some rope here, if I'm not mistaken ...
[with the robed figure now gone, they are free to explore the room's contents, as Robert checks one of the bookshelves]
ROBERT: [reading] "The Irrational Fear of Large, Lummoxing Zombies Chasing You"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Hyperactive Children Grown Up. A study for over-worried parents."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Yeah, it wuz just last summer. Little feller wuz swang by his leg till it popped clean off. Damndest thing I ever saw."
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Born to Fight Dinosaurs"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Night of the Cringing Wildebeast"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "Corn Dogs. Need We Say Anything Else?"
[he checks another shelf]
ROBERT: [reading] "There's Always Room for Jell-O"
[he checks a crate on the ground, as "Found 'Anchor'" appears on screen]
[he checks a barrel on the ground, as "Found 'Rope'" appears on screen]
[the player tries to leave the room]
XIS: [from off camera] Where are you going?
ROBERT: [pause] What the fuck was that?
BEN: Eh?
XIS: [from off camera] Where are you going?
ROBERT: Shit, there it goes again!
ALICIA: Are you feeling alright?
XIS: [from off camera] Where are you going?
ROBERT: Damn, you had to have heard it that time ...
XIS: [from off camera] Where, where, where ...
ROBERT: What the fuck is this?! This ...
XIS: [from off camera] wherewherewherewhere wherewherewherewhere wherewherewherewhere wherewherewherewhere
ROBERT: Stop it, dammit!!
ALICIA: Robert ... ?
ROBERT: I-I'm sorry ... I've got no idea what's--
[the music suddenly changes]
ROBERT: That ringing ... Do you hear it? You have to!
BEN: Robert, we're all a little shaken ...
ROBERT: I'm not making this up!
[the screen suddenly flashes red]
BEN: What?
ROBERT: Alicia!
ALICIA: Robert?
[the screen turns red]
ALICIA: Robert? What? Is there something on my face?
BEN: I think you just need to calm down ...
ROBERT: How the hell can I calm down when both of you just melted?!
ALICIA: Robert?
[the screen returns to normal]
ROBERT: [pause] I'm just a little tired ... That's all. Would it be alright with you if we rested here for a while?
BEN: I don't see any harm. As long as we don't spend too much time.
[the screen fades to black]
ROBERT: [to himself] It seemed so real ... so shockingly vivid ... What's happening to me? Have I reached my limit? I remember things like this happened to people during the war. The Merran Coast was hell on everybody ... sometimes more so for others ... faces of the dead taunting them with vicious expressions, or grimaces ... enemy soldiers turning into fanged, ape-like demons ... I'd only heard of such things. Neither I, or anyone I knew had suffered anything like it ... We were too tough for that. So why? Maybe I wasn't ...
ALICIA: [from off camera] Oh, my god!!
[cut back to the room, as Robert runs up to Alicia and Ben]
ROBERT: What? What is it?!
ALICIA: Oh, god ... !! The smell! Oh, god! All that blood!
BEN: Take it easy ...
ALICIA: I know, I know. But I can't ... I can't even close my eyes without seeing it ...
ROBERT: Now you ...
[he turns to Ben]
ROBERT: Ben. Do you know anything about this? It seems right up your alley.
BEN: Maybe ... I don't know. I've never really seen a hex in action before.
ROBERT: A hex? Is that what this is?
BEN: Like I said, I have no idea ...
[the music changes again]
BEN: Is that the ringing?!
ROBERT: [pause] Yeah.
[the screen starts changing colors]
ROBERT: [pause] Don't remember any of this.
[a figure suddenly appears in the doorway]
XIS: Don't worry yourself. Just close your eyes, and let me break your little spines ...
ROBERT: You ... god damn it! What the hell are you?
XIS: I can dig my hands into your chest cavity and remove your heart and lungs, if you'd prefer ... Maybe you'd like your intestinal track spooled out? I could just eat it like a long strand of pasta, you know.
ALICIA: [pause] Robert?
ROBERT: Stay calm ...
[the figure jumps on Alicia]
XIS: By all means ... struggle. It makes the flesh more tender ...
ROBERT: Damn ... !
[he pulls Alicia away]
ROBERT: Run!! Damn you!
[Robert and his party leave the room]
XIS: Waste of effort. I think it is time I stopped using my power to merely terrorize ... Very well. No more games.
[the room suddenly bursts into flame]
XIS: See if they can outrun me in a burning library ...
[Robert and his party make their way through the burning library and down to Ben's hidden room in the basement ... however, as they close the secret entrance, a loud banging noise can be heard from outside]
XIS: [from off camera] I know you're in there!! I can smell it!!!
[Robert turns and looks at the entrance to the sewer system]
ROBERT: Ugh ... guess this is the only way left to go.
[Robert and his party escape into the sewer system]
XIS: [from off camera] Damn you!! Open this hatch!
[he eventually breaks through, and walks into the room]
XIS: What a quaint study ... What resources lie here.
[the screen suddenly shakes]
XIS: Urgh!! Curse this hunger!!
[he enters the sewer system and chases after them, as the scene fades to black]

---

From rpgmmag.com:

"The Spiteful Dead" (an RPG Maker fanmade creation)
Developer: Xisthruos
System: RM1
Genre: Horror
Released: Sep. 2002

I originally played it way back when it first came out but I never got farther then the third card. I just put the game down and moved on to other things.

This time I vowed to play the game from beginning to end. It's always important to play other's games so you get a deeper understanding of what has been done, and how each games comes together.

Presentation (Plus)
* The character depth was the best I've ever seen.
* I was also impressed with the use of color and the overall polish of things. The creative use of tiles and effects to make a futuristic setting was very impressive and definitely worth a look for anyone trying to create that feel in a RPG Maker 1 game.
* Many scenes where done well, like the fireside scene. This creativity could have spilled over into the games many black screen sequences.
* Many dungeons where like puzzles on their own so you actually enjoyed traversing them rather then just feeling like another dungeon filled with encounters.

Presentation (Minus)
* The excessive use of the wait command nearly floored my impatience, forcing me to wait staring at a black screen for a huge amount of time during the games many black screen story sequences. Speaking of which, these could of easily been built into a mini scene rather then have the player just read words on a black screen without even music playing in the background.
* I found the library puzzle to be a deal breaker. I had to traverse it many times and wanted to give up rather then find a shelf to return yet another book.

---

From pavilionboards.com:

"The Spiteful Dead"
Game by Xisthruos - Rated M for Mature

The game takes place in the great island-city of Belize, which has been infested with zombies. Robert Miguelle, Alicia Cetty, and their friends need to find a way off the island. The game is a survival-horror, and it is very impressive. The story is epic, it has a bunch of fun mini-games, a few puzzles, the battles are balanced well, and the bosses are challenging. It also has a unique spell system (for RPG Maker), where instead of just magic spells, you also have a limited reserve of ammo for your guns. Of course, there's magic spells, too, and they tend to be rather useful, though you gotta be wise in their usage, as they cost HP to use.

[...]

Ep4 - The Recluse

People didn't believe it. They said it wasn't possible. But the rumors were true. There exists a cutscene longer than the ones in Xenosaga!

Commentary by Kisthruos

-I kind of wish RPGM would have let me change the colors of the tile palette instead of only being able to darken the entire screen. I could have created a dark atmosphere without the game's colors being dull and grey.

-Perhaps the opening of the downtown area could have been extended with a little more exploration and more of a 'safety net' before the lengthy cutscene occured.

-Decently excecuted action scene with minimal hiccups.

-Robert is a lonely pervert. Good or bad?

-Alicia is kind of a weak character throughout the game. It stands to reason a teenage boy would have difficulty writing lines for an adult woman in a relationship. More melodrama between her and Robert. Still, there exists worse in the depths of RPGM hell.

-Ben is also somewhat weak. He's supposed to be in his forties, but he seems to act more like an autistic child at times.

-I had a bit of fun describing the zombies's behavior and history in detail, as well as that of the world's magic. In the future, I would prefer to relegate this to side information rather than make it something the player has to sit through.

-The cutscene is long because I wanted to make it seem as though a lot of time had passed while the characters waited (or hoped) for evac. Could have been creative and set up more player involvement via dialogue choices or simple puzzle scenes (procurement of food/supplies, maintenance of their shelter, failed attempts to escape, etc.) As long as it only replaced the dialogue and didn't slow things down even more.

-This episode is pretty much all cutscene. Cutscenes are also kinda problematic in RPGM because they eat up a ton of scenario data.

-THE END. I'm not sure how much more I can apologize for writing I did eight years ago.

Ep5 - Quoth the Zombies... Ever Moan

The escape plan has been made. Now our heroes must traverse a vast library for supplies. Unfortunately for them, that means becoming librarians.

Commentary by Xisthruos

-I guess the basic mechanic of collecting books and placing them around the libarary can get a bit tedious. The quickest and best route is to travel around the library, exterminating all the zombies (bottom to top), THEN look for where to place the books (top to bottom). The library is symmetrical, so I'd hoped that would simplify things. However, I understand the objective isn't exactly clear at first. Perhaps if RPGM would have let me store more info regarding an item, the puzzle could have been simpler, or I could have come up with a simpler code for the book titles/library sections.

-Level design is of utmost importance in making games, although it's easily overlooked. The problem with the library dungeon is that the massive size of the area doesn't pair well with the arbitrary book-finding puzzle. Neither of these two issues is a big problem on its own, but they combine poorly. It's not as though I hadn't put a lot of thought into this area, but for some reason I hadn't taken into account that other people don't have the same level of INHUMAN patience I seem to have. The library just wouldn't have been as impressive if it wasn't so large, though.

Ep6 - Carmageddon

Xis has begun his attack. The library is in flames. The city is in ruin. And the only path to freedom is blocked by a hoard of zombies. Our heroes are going to need more than willpower to plow their way to victory.

Commentary by Xisthruos

-It's definitely from this point onward that players decide that they really like the Spiteful Dead. Congratulations on making it through the slow (but reasonably fun) part of the game!

-the "Escape from the library" scenario has some randomness to the outcome of certain events (can't remember which specifically), but it's nothing that would keep you stuck for long since the odds are stacked in your favor.

-It's theoretically possible to beat XIS2005 in the library, but since he's so tough it's just about impossible. Hence why I handed out a save point beforehand. If you (somehow) managed to defeat him, you were able to proceed through the library without being pestered by him at all. The group of zombies would still try to get you though, and the rest of the game would proceed as normally. It's not really recommended you try to beat him, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment