Monday, December 10, 2012

Case Study No. 0678: Miss Valley

[S8][P3] Black Mirror 2
11:00
We get out of the hotel and explore the village of Willow Creek where we meet 2 brothers, a librarian and some tourists and learn more about what's going on.
Tags: lp let's play black mirror darren willow creek tom bobby miss valley mrs puft museum pub fair
Added: 2 years ago
From: xAeternax
Views: 529

[Darren Michaels is in the hotel room of the missing Angelina in Willow Creek (England), reading over her diary entries left behind before her disappearance]
ANGELINA: [in voice over] "Sunday, 1600. I don't know what's supposed to be so special about Willow Creek. It all seems so forlorn, poor and desolate. Hopefully I won't have to disappoint Darren. He's helped me so much, and I only now hope that I can help him too."
[he reads another entry]
ANGELINA: [in voice over] "Sunday, 9 PM. That porter Murray is a damned shark! He had money off me for every single bit of info ... I'm not doing that again. I'll go to the library tomorrow, and there's supposed to be a town museum too. Maybe I'll pick up something there about Darren's castle."
[he reads another entry]
ANGELINA: [in voice over] "Monday, 11 AM. Black Mirror was built in the fourteenth century by the two brothers, Marcus and Mordred Gordon. The brothers argued and virtually waged war with each other. To this day, descendants of the Gordon line still inhabit Black Mirror Castle. They will, however, soon die out. The last young Gordon died twelve years ago, having committed suicide."
[he reads another entry]
ANGELINA: [in voice over] "Monday, 2 PM. I've got something on the tree symbol that Darren discovered on Borris' ring. The symbol is mentioned in the chronicle of the Gordon family. I also stumbled across it in the library. It's the symbol of a secret society, a kind of sect, that wants to summon up dark power and uses corpses in the process ... What if Boris is one of them?"
[he reads another entry]
ANGELINA: [in voice over] "Monday, 4 PM. I found out in the pub, people believe there's a curse on Black Mirror Castle and the Gordon family ... Maybe I'll change the topic of my degree thesis. I'd much rather write about cursed castles, though I can't see my good prof Hubbard being too thrilled about the idea."
[he reads another entry]
ANGELINA: [in voice over] "Monday, 9 PM. He's here, Reginald Borris is here in Willow Creek! I've just seen him sneaking about the hotel. What should I do? Is he here because of me? Now, of all times, right when I want to investigate the passage! I'm not going to let myself be stopped, but I ... I'll send off some insurance."
[he stops, trying to somehow piece together the clues]
DARREN: Oh man, Reginald Borris! Angelina had been doing some research, and Borris had caught her at it. Now he's holding her prisoner and ...
[he scratches his head]
DARREN: Does he want to lure me to him? In Maine, he wanted to "take me on a journey" ... Is this all about me? Whatever the reason for all this might be, Angelina doesn't have anything to do with it. She's got into danger because she wanted to help me! It's my fault if something happens to her!
[he paces around]
DARREN: I ... I ought to go into the village and listen around. Angelina was there, but I need to be careful. I don't know who might belong to this "Order" that Angelina warned me about.
[he exits the library and goes into the village, when he startles the local librarian walking by (an attractive young woman with short black hair) and causes her to drop her books]
DARREN: Ha! We all know that old one ...
MISS VALLEY: What do you mean?
DARREN: A young attractive lady is carrying a stack of books and lets them fall at the feet of the hero.
MISS VALLEY: Excuse me ... I'm the librarian here. So it's quite right that I should be carrying books around the place. Young? Attractive? Well ... I'll accept that. But why do you consider yourself to be a hero?
DARREN: You're the librarian? Then you can definitely tell me something worth knowing about this place, Miss ...
MISS VALLEY: Valley. You're American?
DARREN: Darren Michaels. Do I really sound American?
MISS VALLEY: Oh yes! Now let me see. Your accent is non-rhotic, that is, you don't sound the phoneme 'r' at the end of a syllable, or before other consonants. And you have hard 'a' sounds. That's the famous Boston accent.
DARREN: Awesome! I really do come from Boston.
MISS VALLEY: I've spent half my life in books, so something has to have stuck.
DARREN: So then you can most probably tell a damned Yankee something about Willow Creek?
MISS VALLEY: What do you want to know?
[the player selects "Sanatorium"]
DARREN: I'm staying at the Gordon's Palace Hotel.
MISS VALLEY: Really? You're letting yourself get ripped off by that old so-and-so Murray?
DARREN: The building is supposed to have had a terrible past.
MISS VALLEY: That's true.
DARREN: It would seem that all of the male Gordons were a little bit crazy ...
MISS VALLEY: The curse of the Gordons.
DARREN: Please don't tell me you believe in all that hokum?
MISS VALLEY: I never used to ...
DARREN: [chuckles] You English, you like your ghost stories and all that a little too much.
[they both walk over to the pub]
MISS VALLEY: That's the obligatory village pub. It never was a great place. But since the old landlord left, it really has gone downhill. The new landlord is Tom, the chap at the chilli stall.
[Tom's picture disappears from the player's inventory]
MISS VALLEY: The fair will be here for a few more days yet ... but I wouldn't bet that it'll be coming back again.
[the player selects "Willow Creek"]
DARREN: Well, is there anything about Willow Creek that's worth knowing?
MISS VALLEY: Not a lot. There must've been a settlement there for a good thousand years or so. They've found remains dating back that far.
DARREN: Yeah, a stone circle in a forest, so I've heard.
MISS VALLEY: Yes, there's one of those. It really only kind of got going around the thirteenth century, when there was a monastery built in the neighborhood. Also, a church and the first part of a castle.
DARREN: And more recently?
MISS VALLEY: You're talking about the murders? That's twelve years ago now. Let's not talk about those.
[they both walk across the bridge in the middle of town]
MISS VALLEY: Back there by the town hall is my empire, the library. Perhaps it's because there's otherwise so little going on here, there are plenty of people who like to and who do read a lot. Sadly, often all the wrong things. Trashy stuff and the cheapest pulp lit are in high demand.
[the player selects "Black Mirror"]
DARREN: The castle nearby, isn't that the famous Black Mirror Castle?
MISS VALLEY: It certainly is. Its inhabitants have influenced things around here for centuries. Sometimes for the good. Sometimes rather more negatively.
DARREN: How do you mean that?
MISS VALLEY: Everything around here belongs to the Gordons. In the old days, virtually everything that went on here was all decided in the castle. Just what could happen in the village, and what could not.
DARREN: And who lives in the castle today?
MISS VALLEY: Lady Victoria Gordon, the last of the Gordons. Her old butler Bates, and her late brother's widow, Lady Eleanor. I think there are a few other servants too.
[they both walk over to the museum]
MISS VALLEY: That's the museum. If you want to know more about Willow Creek, then that's the place to be ... At least in the front bit.
DARREN: What's in the back?
[her voice becomes filled with disdain]
MISS VALLEY: The newly opened Black Museum ... Cheap special effects animation. Horror and titilation at others' expense.
[the player selects "Museum"]
DARREN: What's wrong with the Black Museum? Why should you get so wound up about it?
MISS VALLEY: It's not about informing people. Nothing to do with knowledge. It's about putting blood and suffering on display!
DARREN: I'm afraid that's what folks are interested in.
MISS VALLEY: Because they want to gawk! These are the same people who would rather photograph an accident than help out! They don't share in any of the misfortunes of those behind the spectacle.
[the player selects "The Order"]
DARREN: Can you help me with a symbol? A tree where the roots reach around and up into the branches. That mean anything to you?
MISS VALLEY: Where, er ... Where d'you know that from?
DARREN: You know something about it?
MISS VALLEY: You ought to forget about it again as soon as possible.
DARREN: I stumbled across it in Maine, and now I'd like to know if--
MISS VALLEY: Maine? You come ... but you said Boston? I ... er, I've still got something to finish. Goo-good day!
[she quickly walks away]
DARREN: Miss Valley? Listen ... And she's gone. What was that all about?

[...]

[Darren returns to the hotel at nightfall, where he finds Miss Valley standing at the entrance]
DARREN: Oh, hello Miss Valley. It's a small world.
MISS VALLEY: Darren! Nice to ... yes, who'd have thought it?
DARREN: Um, is everything alright?
MISS VALLEY: Me? Yes! Why? I mean, why not?
DARREN: You seem a bit ... nervous.
MISS VALLEY: Oohh, no, I've just ... with Murray about ... I just see ghosts. It's, it's just the twelve years, you understand.
DARREN: Errm, no?
[she gives a nervous laugh]
MISS VALLEY: And how could you? You aren't ... you ... I mean, every twelve years ... Every twelve years, something terrible happens. In the village, in the castle, in the forest. Dreadful things.
[she starts to cry]
DARREN: Miss Valley, can I somehow--
MISS VALLEY: Oh!
[she quickly composes herself]
MISS VALLEY: Oh, no. Please excuse me. It's just that a lot has happened recently and I thought ... I thought ... never mind.
DARREN: No no no! What did you think? And what's it got to do with this twelve-year cycle?
MISS VALLEY: It's got nothing to do with you, fortunately. I have to go ...
[she leaves]
DARREN: Miss Valley, I ... What's wrong with her, she seems to have some serious problems. But so have I. Still no trace of Angelina.

[...]

[Darren has found the Order's underground meeting place, but as he's sneaking around, he suddenly hears voices approaching]
DARREN: Members of the Order! I've gotta hide!
[he hides behind the elevator, as two figures approach]
ORDER MEMBER 1: I never thought it would take on such proportions!
ORDER MEMBER 2: Once they opened the grave and the boy wasn't in it, I knew this would happen.
ORDER MEMBER 1: But he was so far away! Isn't it possible that the curse hadn't taken control of him?
ORDER MEMBER 2: She sees it differently! Otherwise, she wouldn't have tried to keep him captive.
ORDER MEMBER 1: Pssst, she's coming.
[they turn, as the librarian enters]
ORDER MEMBER 1: We thought we should meet in the mine today ... due to the weather. Is that okay with you?
MISS VALLEY: It makes no difference.
DARREN: [quietly] I should have guessed. Miss Valley's behind all this. She's little Vic's sister, she's been really involved in the whole thing. And of course, being a librarian, she knew the Order's history. She must have convinced a few people from the village to get involved. Then, for whatever reason, they've targeted me. And this Miss Valley will stop at nothing, I'm sure of that ...
[he strains to get a closer look]
DARREN: [quietly] Was Angelina in her way? I-I've got to find out.

[...]

[after finding what he believed to be Angelina's charred corpse, Darren is nearly driven insane with anger/grief ... until the woman herself confronts him, and reveals that the Order had actually been trying to protect him from her (since they are both actually members of the Gordon bloodline) and her attempts to summon up the dark powers]
ANGELINA: Hello, dear brother ... So, you still haven't worked it out?
DARREN: What ... What are you doing?!
ANGELINA: I'm fulfilling my destiny. I will evoke Mordred's power and use it for my own purposes.
DARREN: And Borris? And Sally? And ... my adoptive mother?
ANGELINA: She guessed who I was when I was standing at her door. She wanted to warn the Order. I couldn't allow that. She banged her head on the side table ... I thought she was dead.
[the player selects "Stranger"]
DARREN: What was all that with Reginald Borris?
ANGELINA: The Order put him on my back, as I found out shortly after your mother's accident ... Borris wanted to sideline me, by putting me in the frame for Fuller's murder. My plan was to take you back with me to England, but as long as Borris was around I was worried that he'd tell you all about me. So, I flew back to England and called you up. And just as I expected, you turned up here like a shining hero to rescue me.
[the player selects "Angelina"]
DARREN: W-What's this all about? Wadda you want from me?
ANGELINA: I cannot enter the academy nor the summoning chamber without the blood of a male Gordon. You just can't imagine my disappointment when I had to acknowledge that Richard's blood wouldn't do ... and my delight when I found you.
DARREN: And the whole time, you never knew about me?
ANGELINA: No. Our mother and the others kept the secret very well hidden ... but then I found some writings which told me everything. I came to Biddeford to wrap you around my little finger, and it worked well. I knew that we were bonded by something, and that you'd do anything for me.
[the player selects "Angelina's death"]
DARREN: And your "death?" Who had to die for you?
ANGELINA: The good Miss Valley built the Order back up again, after there had been no sign of it for almost a hundred years. No wonder that she hung around there so much ... Samuel, our father, killed her little brother Vic. I had to protect myself from her!
DARREN: So you murdered her in cold blood and set her on fire.
ANGELINA: And killed two birds with one stone, no pun intended. The Order lost its leader and everyone thought I was dead, to boot. All I had to do was to forge my diary entries and lure you into the castle.

---

From amazon.com:

"Black Mirror 2" (PC)

It's now 1993, twelve years after the disaster in Black Mirror 1. The game starts with a cut scene showing how Catherine (Samuel's wife from BM1) died 24 years earlier. I never understood why is that related to the rest of the game, but anyway. Now you are Darren, a young man working in a photo shop in Biddeford, New England. You meet Angelina, a beautiful but mysterious woman which somehow seems to be connected with the old Black Mirror story and the murders that took place there. After you manage to take some shots of her, strange things begin to happen. Who is the man chasing Angelina? Why does your boss behave so strange? What's wrong with your mother?

You will meet again Bates, Victoria, Murray and a few other from BM1, and also you will learn the real truth about your mother, her connection with Willow Creek and your connection with the Gordon curse.

---

From wikipedia.org:

German-based Cranberry Production developed a sequel, Black Mirror II, in 2009. It takes place in the 1990s, twelve years after the original game. When solitary Darren Michaels befriends the beautiful Angelina Morgan, he has no idea what the fates hold in store for him. The alluring Angelina has also attracted the eye of several others; and when she suddenly disappears, Darren finds himself questioning what has happened to her while he is haunted by a series of torturous and ever-intensifying nightmares. Darren's search for his missing friend and his own sanity take him on a chilling expedition from his small New England town to Willow Creek, England - and the reigning evil of Black Mirror Castle.

Darren's journey will immerse him in the dark secrets and turbulent history of the castle's ill-fated Gordon Family. Legend has it that the Gordons were haunted by an ancient curse that ultimately led to their demise more than a decade earlier. Will Darren be able overcome these demons and find Angelina? Will Darren's search lead him to redemption or the hell of insanity? Or will he become the curse's next victim?

No comments:

Post a Comment