Monday, October 24, 2011

Case Study No. 0018: Alfred-ette

Alfred-ette doesn't make a very good librarian
0:43
It's not much of a library is it?
Alfred-ette (The model is just called Alfred but the "ette" makes the name sound more feminine) by: katasumi2
You find her and other female versions of Hetalia characters here : http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v= paVox659DR0

I own nothing except my voice (I'm aware the singing is a bit off-key and unlike my normal singing, but I thought it would be funny)
Tags: MMD MikuMikuDance funny Hetalia America Alfred Jones librarian female allies axis powers anime character gender bender flip gend bend crazy best in world chibi Rin VOCALOID Kagamine twins singer library wacky
Added: 10 months ago
From: AAMLfanatic
Views: 86

[Alfred-ette is sweetly talking to a little girl looking for a book]
ALFRED-ETTE: Hello there, and welcome to the library! Just ask me anything, and I'll help you out!
LITTLE GIRL: Um, where are the books on--
ALFRED-ETTE: [loudly] Shut up, kid, and leave me alone!
[she turns to the camera]
ALFRED-ETTE: I am the greatest librarian in the world! I am the star of the show!
[she starts singing]
ALFRED-ETTE: I will save the day! I'm the greatest, I'm the coolest one in the world, because I'm way cooler than you!!! I'm awesome, I'm awesome, I'm awesome! I'm the super awesomest person in the world!!!

---

From wikipedia.org:

"Hetalia: Axis Powers" is a comic, later adapted as a manga and an anime series, by Hidekaz Himaruya . The series presents an allegorical interpretation of political and historic events, particularly of the World War II era, in which the various countries are represented by anthropomorphic characters. "Hetalia" is a portmanteau combining "hetare" (Japanese for "incompetent") and "Italia". This is to make light of Italy's apparent cowardice during World War II.

So far, over 40 countries have been personified as human characters. In Hetalia, these characters are normally referred to by their country's name; however, in 2008 Himaruya gave out human names to some of the characters (for example, the character of "America" has been given the name "Alfred F. Jones").

---

From wikia.com:

It has become common to depict characters as the opposite gender in either fanart or fanfiction (for example, America/Alfred as a female or Hungary/Elizabeta as a male). In addition, designs of the opposite gender exist for certain characters, as Hidekaz Himaruya drew them for fun to see what the nations would be like. However, Himaruya also noted that when drawing the characters, he came up with their designs as if they were completely different people (if they were designed as females to begin with). This is presumably why some of them lack certain distinguishing details that their original versions had.

In the Japanese fandom (including but not limited to the site Pixiv), this meme is referred to as Nyotalia, from the words nyotaika (which refers to male-to-female genderbends) and Italia. Fanmade versions of other characters can often be seen in the tag along with the "canon" ones. In some instances, they are depicted as the characters actually genderbent, though the intention is for them to be completely different incarnations.

Although the Japanese fandom have given the characters names and used the surnames from their opposite gender, others are apt to come up with completely new names themselves, both given names and family names.

No comments:

Post a Comment